Saturday, December 1, 2012

How Far the Mighty Hath Fallen

When I started this blog after dragging my feet for years while my mind simultaneously addressing 15,000 health/running/tennis issues I wanted to discuss I NEVER in a million years thought I would succumb to being sick.  Sure I've had my share of allergy related inconveniences, but I haven't been sick, sick in YEARS.  I eat healthy, I exercise like a crazy person, and I am well balanced when it comes to work and fun.  I have always been the go-to person when someone is not feeling well or is a little down, etc.  I exude positivity.  I exude energy and willing to share it with whomever needs it.  This week I created my own EPIC FAIL.  I failed because I was feeling off my game and pushed past the warning signs.  I felt sluggish and attributed it to a 75 mile race, relatives coming to our house for Thanksgiving, multiple daily group exercise classes, etc.

Life came to a screeching halt on Wednesday.  I started my day with a client and we were both excited to be in New York City at the same time.  I didn't feel great, but I was feeling better than I did the previous day.  After Debby's house, I went to a fun indoor tennis clinic.  I could sense I wasn't as fast to the ball and I wasn't hitting the ball as hard and had to think to move my feet when usually I'm like a jitter bug on the court.  90 minutes later and a few coughing battles, I drove home.  I could barely get out the car.  I thought I was just tight from pounding my body on hard courts.  I made my way to the couch and that was all she wrote.

I felt feverish and every bone, hair, eyelash, etc. felt achy. Most importantly I felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest.  I began to try and get off the couch and most of the muscles in my legs revolted with cramps.  I couldn't believe I possibly feel this bad this quickly.  I called my favorite doctor, who also happens to be a client of mine and he heard my pitiful voice and agreed to see me in his office ASAP.  Dan had to come home and drive me there because I was pretty out of it by then. Dr. Gene took one look at me and told me I needed to go to the hospital right now did I want an ambulance.  Even in my sickly stupor I barely said yes to Dan driving me to the hospital.  I think I felt compelled to go so I could get better so I could go see my Dad and Sandy in NYC to celebrate his 81st birthday.  You see, Hurricane Sandy decided to ruin our plans last month so this was the amended travel schedule.

By the time we got into the emergency room much that happened was a blur.  I remember going back very quickly, but I remember begging for them just to stick an IV bag in my arm so we could start this fluid thing so I could have my miraculous recovery.  What felt like 3 hours waiting for that bag was probably more like an hour and half.  2 1/2 bags of fluid, 6 prescriptions later and 7 hours later I can safely say I was finally allowed to go home.  I never got a room, just a hallway gurney, so I'm hoping that maybe they lower the price since (insert sarcastic laugh here) I had the first gurney position next to the cold door where the influx of ambulances seemed like a revolving door at a busy shopping center.  Dan was a trooper keeping me company while the doctor explained that I had a bad case of bronchitis and the flu.  I think at that point that I told the doctor that I've had the flu before when I was younger and it wasn't anything like this.  I also told him I had a very high threshold of pain and I felt like a helpless baby.  I had to clamp my mouth shut when they put the IV needle in my arm because usually I barely feel a needle and this felt like they used a butcher knife the whole length of my arm.  At this point my eye balls felt like they were falling out of my head.  I held my fingers over them for at least an hour to make sure I wouldn't go blind.  I didn't feel all.

I was starting to feel a little better in the hospital, so I had Dan take a photo that I titled:  Cocktail hour...Cheers!

I never thought I would be highlighting an illness on my blog because I am the  healthy girl.  But, please do not ignore the warning signs.  Listen to your body.  I can't wait to tell more stories about the 24 hour Crooked Road Ultra and the Richmond Half Marathon.  I had an amazing 10 mile recovery run last Saturday too.  All of that will have to wait.  Because I'm watching National Lampoon's Family Vacation and staring at our beautiful Christmas tree while I completely recuperate from this scary ordeal.
I need to report here that all was not well when I returned home from the hospital.  Turns out Tamiflu makes me throw up.  6 times in 48 hours that is.  I didn't realize it till the 3rd day because I hadn't been able to read or listen/watch tv because my eyes were hurting so much.  Saw a commercial during the Dr. Oz show yesterday for Tamiflu and rashes and vomiting were the most frequent side effects.  I have kept liquids and some solids down ever since.  Thanks to Melissa, Trish and Christie for checking in on me everyday and keeping me well.  I kept thinking I was looking better and better each day and every day their faces summed it up:  You look very sick.  It's a good thing I have great friends because I'd probably be trying to start exercising today because I feel more human.  But I'm NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment